TRAVELING IN OUR FABULOUS GAY WORLD: The Gay Bar in Gay, Michigan
Hasn’t everyone visited Gay, Michigan, population that is around 60? It is 12 miles from Lake Linden on Copper Island at the western end of the Upper Peninsula. The town was named after Joseph E. Gay, one of the founders of the Mohawk Mining Company that built a stamp mill in Gay in 1898. At it’s peak, Gay, Michigan had 1,500 residents and 117 houses. There were company stores and a schoolhouse for 250 students.
In the late 1800’s, Gay was a lumber town. Logging was waning when the Mohawk Mining Company decided to put stamping mills in the area to process copper from mines at Mohawk and Wolverine. Construction started in 1900. By 1901, there was an office, warehouse, blacksmith and carpenter shops, dock, pump house and company houses in the community. The Wolverine stamp mill closed in 1922. A depressed copper market caused the Mohawk Mining Company to shut its doors in 1933. Company homes were sold for $1 per room and $1 for the lot. Logging continued to be important to Gay until the railroad left in 1965.
Today, Gay, Michigan is famous for it’s bar…… THE GAY BAR in Gay, Michigan is the place to party and drink and eat. www.thegaybar.com It has been the GAY BAR since prohibition in the 1930’s. People drive from miles around to get there. The owners are Bruce and Christine Fountain. They offer a selection of over 40 beers both locally and imported.
This post originally appeared on the Purple Roofs Gay Travel Blog.