Rotorua is the heartland of New Zealand Maori culture, and visitors have the opportunity to experience the warm spirit of Te Maori. The Rotorua region is also one of New Zealand's prime trout fishing spots—you're practically guaranteed a catch, especially if a local professional guide is hired. Many of the volcanic crater lakes are home to a plentiful stock of trophy-sized rainbow trout.
Although most of the Maori population live in the urban areas, there are about 35 marae (meeting grounds) in the Rotorua district. You may be lucky enough to stay as a guest on a marae—an unforgettable experience. Or you could catch a Maori cultural performance, where stories are relayed through beautiful song and dance. You can also indulge in a traditional hangi feas—the food is cooked below the ground in earthen ovens.
Rotorua is fast becoming known as "Nature's Spa of the South Pacific". After a hard day's sightseeing or strenuous activity, visitors can relax with a soak in the healing waters of the geothermal hot springs, or totally unwind by choosing from a selection of therapeutic spa and massage therapies.
Jack and Di's cosy 4 star Bed & Breakfast Lodge is a charming waterfront haven located on the shores of Lake Rotorua. Whether you come for a long or short get-away, you will love the peace and tranquility of Troutbeck Lodge. This peaceful lodge is a charming waterfront haven, set in idyllic surroundings and nestled on the shores of Lake Rotorua where the natural beauty will take your breath away. The lodge ia a nature lover and fisherman's delight, offering sunny, open-plan living with views straight out to Lake Rotorua and Mokoia Island. Whether you come for a long or short get-away, you will love the spectacular views and tranquility of Troutbeck Lodge.
Troutbeck Lodge Features:
- Guest rooms with en-suite bathrooms and two bedroom suites
- Complimentary continental breakfast and refreshment provisions provided
- A ten minute drive to the centre of Rotorua
- Lakefront location with large sunny shared guest lounge and amazing lake views
- On the bus route, 15-20 minutes to the city centre
- Away from sulphur fumes
- Guest laundry facilities
- Free use of kayaks, barbeque area & hot spa
- Free parking and free local telephone calls
- Go fishing - 2 minutes walk to the popular Waiteti Trout Stream
- Watch the float plane arrive for your scenic flight. Enquire here for more details
- 24 hour telephone assistance
- Children under 12 welcome if the whole lodge is booked
- The whole lodge is available with 5 bedrooms & 3 bathrooms for larger groups; accommodates up to 11 guests.
Rotorua offers much more than only the amazing thermal pools and fishing for trout. Forests, lakes and volcanic cones make Rotorua a natural place for hikes, water activities, four-wheel driving, and much more.
Some of the local activities include:
- Cycle Touring, Rotorua
- Visit the giant Californian redwood trees in Whakarewarewa Forest—walk, ride a horse or mountain bike along the trails.
- Hike to the top of the majestic Mount Tarawera (a day trip).
- The more adventurous can enjoy a scree run down into the crater!
- Choose from a variety of lake and river excursions—cruise, kayak, raft or white water sledge
- The Rotorua region has eleven main lakes, a myriad of crystal clear streams and four different species of trout.
- Fly fish the rivers or lakes—hire a guide if you want a sure thing
- Cruise on the Lakeland Queen, a traditionally styled paddlewheel vessel
- Get aboard the 50 foot catamaran that cruises Lake Tarawera
- Jet boat through a breathtaking wonderland
- Get a taste for white water rafting—the thrilling rapids of the Rangitaiki River and New Zealand's highest commercially rafted waterfall on the Kaituna River.
- Join a 4WD (four-wheel drive) tour to the dormant volcano of Mount Tarawera. Guided walks in and around craters, spectacular views of surrounding lakes and mountains.
- The famous Maori love story of Hinemoa and Tutanekai is brought to life with the day trip on Lake Rotorua out to Mokoia Island.
Rotorua's volcanic craters, lakes, and forests make it a region rich in activities. From walks, to fishing, to four-wheel driving, to relaxing in the therapeutic thermal pools, there's something for everyone in Rotorua.
Email: [email protected]