With its relaxed, laid-back lifestyle, Coromandel attracts talented artists and crafteaspooneople from around the country---inspired not only by the tranquil atmosphere, but also by the spectacular natural surroundings. The discovery of gold at Driving Creek in 1852 brought a boom to Coromandel Town, and the area has continued to flourish while retaining much of its history from those times. Colville Town, once the centre of the Kauri milling industry, is now a quiet country town serving the arts and farming communities.
Only an hour’s drive from Auckland, the spectacular Coromandel Peninsula is a world away. Stunning, unspoiled beaches, rich Maori and Colonial history, a vibrant arts community and abundant recreation activities offer something for everyone. Here you can cycle along miles of coastline trails, visit local artists' studios, birdwatch, or beachcomb on the Coromandel's many gorgeous beaches. Outdoor activities include digging your own hot spa pool in the sand at Hot Water Beach, exploring the Coromandel Forest Park, or cruising the islands by boat.
Nestled amid native bush in a gorgeous riverside setting, Koru Cottage offers private, self-contained accommodation five minutes from Coromandel Town and close to all the attractions of the stunning Coromandel Peninsula. The Cottage is conveniently located on the historic 309 Road, just South of Coromandel Town. The beautifully appointed home offers a spacious master suite upstairs with open plan dining and lounge downstairs. Enjoy gorgeous bush views, New Zealand art, and wireless high-speed internet from every room. Outside, the wraparound deck, native birdsong and chuckling river beckon. The cottage is ideal as a romantic retreat or working holiday, your stay at Koru Cottage can be as peaceful or active as you wish. Take a river-walk through lush, native bush. Slip into the refreshing swimming hole. Delight in the sights and bird sounds of native tui, pigeons, and fantails. Enjoy a meal or sun-downer cocktail on the deck. Bask in a riverside massage, stargaze and discover the magical glow worm grottos. Koru Cottage also makes a perfect base for you to explore the enchanting Coromandel Peninsula.
- Koru Cottage can accommodate up to six guests and offers:
- Master bedroom with queen bed, sitting area and ensuite (upstairs)
- Adjacent bunkroom with two single bunkbeds (Note: Access to the bunkroom is through the master suite.)
- Queen and single air mattresses for additional guests
- Water closet (no shower) downstairs
- The fully stocked kitchen includes:
- electric stove and oven
- bowls and service for 8
- espresso/coffee maker
- French press
- condiments, olive oil and spice rack
- serving platters
- Large freezer in conservatory and grocery stores/markets close by
- Towels, blankets, comforters and pillows are provided. Linens are available for a small fee, or you are welcome to bring your own.
- Full laundry facilities
- High-speed wireless internet, portable laptop desk mount, wireless keyboard and mouse (for PC)
The Coromandel Peninsula offers an abundance of activities with something for everyone. The following are some recommendations just a few minutes up the road from the Koru Cottage:
- Waiau Waterfall - Relax in this beautiful bush glade and enjoy a refreshing dip in the pool below the falls
- Waterworks - Meander through this lovely riverside garden park filled with whimsical gadgets and interactive playthings. Fun for kids of all ages!
- Castle Rock - Tramp up this old volcanic cone for stunning panoramic views
- Kauri Grove - Stroll through this protected and magnificent collection of Kauri trees
Fabulous golden and white sand beaches with magnificent coastal scenery, a rugged forest cloaked interior waiting to be explored, are just two of the natural attractions that have people returning to The Coromandel time after time. As a walkers paradise with a range of trails to explore, from short coastal walkways to multi-day treks, the region will delight you at every turn.
Email: [email protected]tourism.com