Melbourne is the capital and most populous city in the state of Victoria, and the second most inhabited city in Australia. The town is located on the large natural bay known as Port Phillip, with the city centre positioned at the estuary of the Yarra River at the northern-most point of the bay. The metropolitan area then extends south from the city centre, along the eastern and western shorelines of Port Phillip, and expands into the hinterland.
Melbourne was founded in 1835---forty-seven years after the European settlement of Australia---by settlers from Van Diemen's Land. It was named by governor Richard Bourke in 1837, in honour of William Lamb—the 2nd Viscount Melbourne. It was officially declared a city by Queen Victoria in 1847. In 1851, it became the capital city of the newly created colony of Victoria. During the Victorian gold rush of the 1850s, it was transformed into one of the world's largest and wealthiest cities. Today, it is a centre for the arts, commerce, industry, education, entertainment, sport, and tourism. The metropolis is also home to the world's largest tram network.
Modelled after the original European pensione hotels, the Pensione Hotel Melbourne combines original turn of the century building features with modern design and soft tones, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere. Set behind a beautiful Heritage-listed façade, the Pensione Hotel offers boutique interiors, friendly hospitality, and incomparable value for money. Featuring all the desired hotel amenities, with competent staff that have a great knowledge of the local area, the Pensione is perfectly suited as a base to explore Melbourne. The Hotel can be found in the heart of Melbourne's Central Business District and it is a stone's throw from the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, Etihad stadium (Telstra dome), the Crown casino, Southern Cross interstate rail and coach terminal, and many of Melbourne’s major tourist attractions. Getting around is easy with the Free city circle tram picking you up from just outside the hotels front door.
- Pensione Café & Bar
- 24 hour reception
- Rooftop sundeck
- In-room wireless internet
- Internet Kiosk
- Non-smoking hotel
- Tour desk
- Dry cleaning/laundry service
- On site coin operated laundry facilities
- DVD players on request
Hotel Rooms Include:
- Petite Double
The Pensione Café is the perfect place to start or finish your day.
- Monday – Friday, 7am – 10.30am
- Saturday – Sunday, 7.30am – 11am.
- To get you going each morning, Pensione Cafe offers a selection of breakfast options starting from $8.00 or a full, all you can eat, continental buffet for $15.00 per person.
- 7 days a week from 4.30pm – 10pm.
- Let them take care of the end of the day for you with a seasonal dinner menu. From a light Antipasto, to a big home-made ‘MelBurger’ and of course a sweet treat to finish!
- With an extensive list of Australian and imported wines, beers and spirits, Pensione Bar is the perfect start to a night out in Melbourne’s CBD.
- HAPPY HOUR (5.00pm – 7pm)
- $4 BEERS *selected locals*
- $5 WINES *House*
- Opening Hours: Daily 5.00pm – till late!
From the Pensione Hotel Melbourne it is easy to enjoy all the attractions and entertainment offered in this vibrant Australian metropolis.