Dunedin has a long history of explorers from the original Maori aboriginals to the arrival of the British settlers when two vessels, The John Wickliffe and the Philip Laing, sailed from London and Glasgow in 1847 with the first immigrants for a settlement at the head of Otago harbour---Dunedin. On board were carpenters and bricklayers ready to build a city and a province for themselves. They found fertile soils, wooded hills and an abundance of wild life, especially birds and wild pigs. By the 1850s, twelve thousand immigrants had arrived and Dunedin was a bustling town. In the early 1860s, gold was discovered and the rush was on---making Dunedin the richest and most populace province in New Zealand and bringing people from China and around the world to share in the wealth of the area.
Today Dunedin is the world’s fifth largest city, in geographical size, offering lots of leisure and recreational opportunities to visitors from around the globe.
The stylish Scenic Hotel Dunedin City features a stunning contemporary award-winning design, with spacious guest rooms, modern facilities and attractive local artworks, all in a handy inner-city location. It is situated just two blocks from the Octagon in the heart of the city. The hotel has a fresh contemporary design, with clean lines and dramatic features softened by natural elements such as timber and neutral tones. At once energetic, yet restful, Scenic Hotel Dunedin City is well in tune with the beat of this vibrant city. Throughout the hotel, attention is paid to style, quality, convenience and service. This has earned Scenic Hotel Dunedin City an impressive 4.5 star Qualmark rating, as well as the Enviro-Silver rating in recognition of our environmental awareness.
- Generously proportioned rooms with plenty of space and light.
- Quality room amenities and services, including excellent bedding and high speed Internet access.
- Memorable street-side dining in Princes on Dowling Restaurant - the perfect place to watch the city go by. Or get comfortable beside the fire in our lounge bar.
- A great central location in the heart of the city. Ideal for business guests and convenient for visitors wanting to explore the city and local attractions.
- 24-hour reception
- Room service
- Two guest laundries
- Valet laundry & dry-cleaning service (available six days a week)
- Internet kiosk
- Wireless Internet service
- Valet car parking (a charge may apply)
- Tourist information & booking service
The Scenic Hotel Dunedin City has 121 large rooms with good natural lighting and modern styling. Special access and interconnecting rooms are available.
All rooms include:
- Sky TV
- Hot beverage making facilities
- High-speed Internet access
- Desk space
- Clock radio
- Ironing facilities
Often referred to as the Edinburgh of the south, Dunedin is New Zealand’s oldest city and traces its history back to its Scottish settlers. As such it has a rich history to explore but also has many other activities to interest and thrill visitors. Just a few to consider include:
- Albatross colony
- Historic architecture
- Penguin & seal colony
- Larnach castle
- Marine Studies Aquarium
- Olveston Historic House
- Surf beaches
- Otago Settlers Museum
- Glenfallock Gardens
- NZ Sports Hall of Fame
- Taieri Gorge Railway
- Dunedin Art Gallery
- Monarch Harbour Cruises
- Speights Heritage Centre
- Dunedin Casino
- Botanical Gardens
- Cadbury World
- Shopping, including boutique fashion
- Trout fishing
- Saltwater canoeing & kayaking
- Cycling & mountain biking
Dunedin is a very accessible city, but is also hilly. If you arrive in the city and do not have a vehicle, buses and taxis are plentiful and reliable. There is an abundance of fine food being grown, harvested, made, prepared, and served in Dunedin, as well as some fine brown brews being poured. The city's diverse makeup reflects the settlement’s colourful early history and the local Dunedin-ites are said to be welcoming, independent, quirky and proud.
Email: [email protected]