The original settlers of the Christchurch region were hunters who stalked the Moa out of existence by the 1500s. Over 1300 – 1500 fires lit in the region destroyed much of the forests of the region, changing the landscape. After the Maori tribes, aided by firearms obtained by trading with whalers, fought each other to near extinction in the Christchurch region, European pilgrims began settling the area in the 1800s.
Today Christchurch is the South Island’s largest city. It’s a vibrant, cosmopolitan place with exciting festivals, theatre, modern art galleries, great shopping, and award-winning attractions. It is an extremely popular tourist destination for locals and foreigners because of the region’s diversity of scenery and outdoor activities.
The High Living Women’s Bed and Breakfast offers cosy accommodations exclusively for female travellers. The hosts Jill and Ruth are dedicated to offering a unique travel experience for their guests.
High Living offers the following to guests:
- Modern, spacious and sunny two storied home situated on the Port Hills at Mt. Pleasant, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- Fifteen minutes from Christchurch city (2 minutes walk to the bus stop) and a few minutes drive from local beaches and the seaside village of Sumner.
- Easy access and off street parking.
- Gracious living areas. Two private and sheltered outdoor patios, and a prize-winning garden.
- Ideal bed and breakfast for business women or travellers. Lesbian women welcome.
- One guestroom to provide bed and breakfast for women only, single or double.
- Close proximity to many local attractions including beaches, outdoor activities, and restaurants.
- Views to die for! Stunning views of the Pacific Ocean, coastline, Estuary, the Southern Alps, and Christchurch city. On a clear day, you can see the mountains from your room. See from the Kaikouras, over the city and way down south past Mt Hutt.
- Lie in bed and enjoy the early morning sun and the fabulous view over sea, Estuary and mountains beyond.
- Spacious, private, bed-sitting room with balcony. Sun all day.
- Comfortable, queen-size bed. Electric blanket, wool underlay, and duvet.
- Tea and coffee making facilities. Telephone in room, no charge for local calls.
- Email, Internet, and fax available.
- Own separate bathroom with spa bath, shower, heated towel rail, heater and hair dryer.
- Toiletries provided.
- Own separate toilet.
- House is well heated with log fire plus electric heating.
- Use of separate lounge with T.V., stereo, and piano.
- Large range of books to browse, many about New Zealand.
- The house is a smoke-free zone.
- Affordable tariffs.
A continental breakfast is served in the sunny living area, outdoors on the patio, or in the privacy of your own room. There are many local cafes and restaurants nearby but dinner can be arranged on request and special diets can be catered to. They provide a good selection of New Zealand’s fresh G.E. free produce including fruit, vegetables, meat, and fish garnished with fresh herbs from the garden. A three course meal, when requested in advance, is accompanied by wine selected from our cellar (separate costs).
Your hosts are Jill and Ruth. Jill is a semi-retired Anglican priest and Ruth is a self-employed renovator. They have a wide experience of tramping, kayaking, and exploring in New Zealand and overseas. Their other interests include gardening, music, reading, good food and wine, art, ballet, and theatre. They enjoy the opportunity to share our experiences and our home.
For women visitors to Christchurch this may be the ideal Bed & Breakfast to enjoy with comfort, privacy, and plenty of relaxation.