San Francisco’s frontier spirit and wild and ribald character started its reputation as a gay mecca in the first half of the 20th century. World War II saw a jump in the gay population when the US military actively sought out and dishonorably discharged homosexuals. From 1941 to 1945, more than 9,000 gay servicemen and women were discharged, and many were processed out in San Francisco.The late 1960s also brought in a new wave of lesbians and gays who were more radical and less mainstream and who had flocked to San Francisco not only for its gay-friendly reputation, but for its reputation as a radical, left-wing center. These new residents were the prime movers of Gay Liberation and often lived communally, buying decrepit Victorians in the Haight and fixing them up. When drugs and violence began to become a serious problem in the Haight, many lesbians and gays simply moved “over the hill” to the Castro replacing Irish-Americans who had moved to the more affluent and culturally homogeneous suburbs.
The Castro became known as a Gay Mecca, and its gay population swelled as significant numbers of gay people moved to San Francisco in the 1970s and 1980s. Today the whole city of San Fransisco is renowned as a gay-friendly Mecca.
Like other downtown hotels in San Francisco, the Prescott Hotel offers an exceptional central location with comfortable, stylish guestrooms and a gay-friendly reputation. Just a block from Union Square, this central location on Post Street is shared with top names in retail, entertainment, business and fine dining. Set in the San Francisco theater district, convenient to Union Square shopping, an easy walk to Moscone Convention Center, the Castro, and only a block from the Powell Street cable car lines to Fisherman’s Wharf, the Prescott Hotel offers an ideal destination for business and leisure travelers alike.
Attentive service distinguishes these San Francisco accommodations from the rest:
- Complimentary Wi-Fi Internet access in all guest rooms and public spaces with Kimpton InTouch membership
- Pet-friendly hotel
- Full concierge services
- Overnight shoeshine
- Same-day laundry and valet service
- Valet parking
- Complimentary weekday newspaper available in lobby
- Complimentary weekday morning (7 am – 9 am) sedan service in the downtown area
- Onsite fitness center, with full selection of cardio equipment and free weights. Open 6 am – 10 pm daily with key card access.
- Limousine and town car service
- Safety deposit boxes are in guestrooms
- Eco friendly hotel
Classic design and signature Kimpton Hotel hospitality set the Prescott Hotel’s boutique hotel accommodations apart. Where the attentive services of an inspired staff is in harmony with the understated style of the surroundings. Where the soothing comfort of a home away from home is perfectly matched by the sophistication of the amenities. These elements combine with custom-made cherry wood furniture to surround guests in a graceful style in all 164 rooms and suites of this San Francisco hotel.
- Complimentary wireless (WiFi) and high speed Internet access in all guestrooms with Kimpton
- InTouch membership
- Stocked honor bar/refrigerator
- In-room 37″ LG flat screen television, two-line telephones and in-room safes
- “Forgot It? We’ve Got It!” essential travel items
- “Mind. Body. Spa.” features in-room spa services, the Yoga channel on every TV and complimentary yoga accessories to use during your stay
- Amenities of home such as umbrellas, terrycloth robes, hair dryer and make-up mirror, iron and ironing boards
- An eco friendly hotel – member of the California Green Lodging Program
- The Prescott Hotel is a smoke free establishment
With their exemplary service and attention to detail, you’ll find that the Prescott Hoteloffers some of the best accommodations in San Francisco. This is a classic boutique hotel offering gracious San Francisco accommodations. The Prescott Hotel offers a full-time concierge team of seasoned professionals who enjoy taking great care of guests and turning their wish lists into reality. They can help to craft any kind of itinerary, from a shopping day in the city to an excursion up to wine country. Once you return from wine country, they can assist with packing up your new bottles in Wineskins or Styrofoam packing boxes for the return journey home.
Enjoy the Prescott Hotel luxury and services while you explore the historic gay community of the Castro and San Francisco’s renowned attractions—both straight and gay!
Email: [email protected]